Never Light These Candles In Your Home No Matter What - Here's Why

RealClear Contributor

            

We all know that candles are fire hazards but apparently fire isn't the only damage that it poses. According to experts it can also be a health hazard.

However, this mostly applies specifically to scented candles and one woman from Hoboken shares her experience with us.

One morning, Meghan Budden lit two large fragrant candles and went about her day as usual. Meghan shared in an interview,

"I didn't think anything of it, I had them burning probably six or seven hours."

Like most of us, the thought of burning candles simply didn't phase Meghan. That is until the following day, when she noticed black spots on the inside of her nose. Of course this discovery was quite alarming, but not as concerning and horrifying as what Meghan saw when she picked up her infant.

"I picked up the baby to feed him and noticed that the inside of his nostril - it was all black."

After making this shocking discovery, Meghan suctioned her child's nose and attempted to rinse it with saline. Shockingly, this picture was snapped AFTER Meghan had already cleaned her baby's nostrils. She then picked up one of the candles that had been burning in order to read the label - and immediately made the frightening connection. Meghan Budden never realized something so innocent would put her family's health at risk.

The reality is, when we breathe in the delicious and delightful aromas that candles give off, we could also be inhaling extremely dangerous chemicals and toxins as well.

Paraffin, a petroleum waste product, is used to make paraffin wax - which is found in many candles. When burned, the toxins that are released from these candles are considered to be as dangerous as the toxins associated with second-hand smoke. An even scarier thought - these toxic components are the same found in the fumes of diesel fuel. Artificial scents are most often used to create the "aroma" part of a candle, which also causes the release of additional chemicals during the burning process.

And it doesn't stop there... a candle's wick can be dangerous too! Back in the day, wicks were made with lead, which as we now know is extremely toxic and dangerous. However, they finally banned lead-made wicks in 2003 because of the variety of associated health problems. Green American has a quick and simple "lead test" if you are at all concerned about the candles in your home.

Aside from checking the components of your candles, there are a few other things you can do to ensure "candle safety" in your home: keep your wick trimmed to 1/8th of an inch; avoid burning candles in a breezy area which can cause a more billowy flame; only burn for the recommended amount of time (usually marked on the label), and be sure to extinguish candles immediately if you notice soot markings.

We may love our candles, but they certainly have the potential to be a terrible danger to our family's health if we're not careful. Be aware, be smart, and be sure to look into "what's in your candle."

Don't forget to share this story with your candle-loving friends, and spread aroma-awareness!

LEADERBOARD
            

Comments

Most Viral This Week

Scroll Top

Like us on facebook to get more stuff like this in your news feed!

close

I already like RealClear, don't show this again

Share on Facebook