15 Things You Never Knew About Harry Potter
Harry Potter is one of the most beloved book and movie series all around the world. While you may have seen all 8 movies, and read all 8 books, there are still some fun facts you may not know...
Warning: SPOILERS Ahead!
1. J.K. Rowling & Harry Potter share the same birthday
That would be July 31, for you Muggles out there.
3. "Expecto Patronum" is a Latin phrase
It means, "I await a protector," and is used by witches and wizards to summon their patronuses or protectors.
4. Culpeper's Complete Herbal was essential to the series
Culpeper's Complete Herbal is a 17th century medicinal plant book from which Rowling found a lot of plant names for the series.
5. Arthur Weasley was going to die instead of Sirius Black
But he didn't, and Harry lost his awesome godfather. RIP Sirius.
8. J.K. Rowling is the first EVER billionaire book-writer
She was soon a non-billionaire because she gave so much of her fortune away to charity. Amazing!
9. Steven Spielberg purposely said "no" to directing the Harry Potter movies
According to Spielberg, "It was too easy. It was like shooting ducks in a barrel."
11. The actress who played Moaning Myrtle was 36
Shirley Henderson was 36 years old when she played the 13 year old ghost of Moaning Myrtle!
12. In 2005, fewer kids were admitted to the ER following a Harry Potter book release
There were HALF the amount of children admitted to the emergency room in the weekends following the release of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix and Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.
14. Dementors are a physical representation of Rowling's depression
The Dementors suck all happiness and good feelings from those around them— the "cold absence of feeling," is how Rowling described her depression.